Interview with Shauna Shapiro
Shauna L. Shapiro, Ph.D. is an Associate Professor of counseling psychology at Santa Clara University, and previously served as adjunct faculty for Andrew Weils Center for Integrative Medicine at the University of Arizona. Dr. Shapiro's research focuses on mindfulness meditation and its applications to psychotherapy and healthcare. She began her study of psychology and meditation at Duke University, graduating summa cum laude, and received her doctorate in clinical psychology from the University of Arizona.
Dr. Shapiro pursued her study of meditation in Thailand and Nepal, as well as in the West, training in mindfulness-based stress reduction (MBSR) and mindfulness-based cognitive therapy (MBCT).
Dr. Shapiro has conducted extensive clinical research investigating the effects of mindfulness-based therapies across a wide range of populations, and published over 50 book chapters and peer-reviewed journal articles. She is the recipient of the American Council of Learned Societies teaching award, acknowledging her outstanding contributions to graduate education in the area of mindfulness and psychotherapy. Dr. Shapiro lectures and leads mindfulness training programs nationally and internationally for health professionals on the growing applications of mindfulness in psychology and health care. Dr. Shapiro co-authored The Art and Science of Mindfulness with Dr. Linda Carlson, which was published by American Psychology Books in June 2009.
Dr. Shapiro attended the 2008 Ways of Knowing Symposium hosted by the Center for Spirituality & Healing and the Life Science Foundation. During the symposium, the University of Minnesota's Center for Spirituality & Healing had the opportunity to talk with Dr. Shapiro. Watch her interview below.
- Interview with Stuart Brown
- Interview with Deepak Chopra
- Interview with Barbara Dossey
- Interview with Eve Edelstein
- Interview with Susan Folkman
- Interview with Susan Frampton
- Living with Positivity: an Interview with Dr. Barbara Fredrickson
- Teaching Mindfulness to Children: An Interview with Susan Kaiser Greenland
- Interview with Mimi Guarneri
- Interview with Wayne Jonas
- Interview with James Lynch
- Interview with Thomas Moore
- Interview with Matthieu Ricard
- Interview with Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche
- Interview with Paul Schultz
- Interview with Shauna Shapiro
- Interview with Esther Sternberg
- Interview with Russell Targ
- Interview with Dr. Walter Willett